HB 796 – Emotional Support Animals – Rental Units

Primary Sponsors: Rep. Holly Grange (R-New Hanover), Rep. John Szoka (R-Cumberland), Rep. Jon Hardister (R-Guilford), Rep. Brian Turner (D-Buncombe)

Bill Summary

This bill would require a licensed physician, licensed psychiatrist, licensed clinical social worker, or licensed psychologist to have written documentation on the need for an emotional support animal for documentation for landlords.

Bill Movement

This bill was filed on April 16, 2019.

This bill was referred to the following committees:

  • Health – committee referral stricken on May 6, 2019
  • Rules – passed May 6, 2019

This bill was amended on the floor to include nurse practitioners and physician assistants.

This bill passed in the House on May 7, 2019.