Planning to celebrate with fireworks this Fourth of July? Grilling for family and/or friends? Here are a few tips to help you stay safe this Independence holiday!


  • Never let children light fireworks or use sparklers unattended.
  • Use fireworks in a clear area outdoors, away from dry leaves, people, pets, buildings, vehicles, overhead obstructions, or anything combustible.
  • Be aware of windy or drought conditions that could alter the trajectory of fireworks or start fires.
  • Have a bucket of water or hose around in case of an unexpected fire or firework “duds”.
  • Never throw or point fireworks at anyone or ignite fireworks in a container.
  • Stabilize fireworks on the ground before lighting, preferably on a fire-safe surface such as a cement pad or a driveway. Never light a firework in your hand.
  • Only light one firework at a time, and then move back quickly to a safe location.
  • Never carry fireworks in your pocket. Never place any part of your body over a firework while lighting its fuse.
  • Don’t pick up or try to re-light a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak them in water.
  • Douse all spent fireworks with water and then place them in a covered metal trash can away from buildings or combustibles until the next day.
  • Never use fireworks while impaired by alcohol or drugs.
  • Only purchase and use fireworks labeled for consumer (not professional) use.
(image credit:


  • Propane and charcoal grills should only be used outdoors
  • The grill should be placed far away from the home and deck railings
  • Keep children and pets at least 10 feet away from the grill area
  • Never leave your grill unattended and always open the gas grill lid before lighting it
  • If using starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire. Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children
  • When you are finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container
  • If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill [source]